General Manager with an international scope and economic background
School of Business and Economics
The mission of the Maastricht University School of Business and Economics (SBE) is to ‘educate and train undergraduates, graduates and professionals, to function effectively and responsibly in careers in international business and economics, and to generate ideas that advance scientific economic and management knowledge and practice. Through these objectives SBE aims to create value for the society to which it belongs.’
SBE has a distinctive international profile and is Triple Crown Accredited. It provides high-quality education and conducts excellent research with an international perspective. SBE strongly believes in creating close collaborations with its academic partners and societal stakeholders, its students and alumni, and with businesses and organisations in the Limburg Euregion, the Netherlands, Europe and the rest of the world.
SBE is a lively and dynamic school of business and economics that counts around 4,200 students and employs around 400 ftes of academic staff, including PhD candidates, and 150 support staff.
Altogether, SBE is probably the most international, comprehensive school of business and economics in Europe. Its campus is situated in the beautiful centre of the city of Maastricht.
Maastricht University (UM), the most international university in the Netherlands, stands out for its innovative approach to learning, international outlook and multidisciplinary approach to research and education. With 16,300 students and 4,300 staff, UM offers a wide choice of academic programmes. The University is renowned for its unique, innovative Problem-Based Learning (PBL), characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach.
Most of the programmes are taught in English and international themes are deeply rooted in research and education. This creates an international atmosphere that is attractive to Dutch as well as international students and employees.
Research at UM is multidisciplinary and thematic, inspired by issues such as sustainability, European integration, healthy ageing and the influence of technological developments on society. Reflecting the university’s strong international profile, almost half of its students and one third of its academic staff is international, representing over 100 different nationalities.
Maastricht University is looking for a collaborative and experienced Managing Director for its School of Business and Economics (SBE). You will be responsible for the Administration Office and supporting the Dean in his managerial tasks.
In an environment committed to high quality education and research, the Managing Director will (help) lead on positive and exciting developments and endeavours within the Administration Office and the wider SBE. You will also join the college of university directors that ensure administrative collaboration across Maastricht University.
As chief academic and administrative officer of SBE, the dean delegates the management responsibilities of the Administration Office to the Managing Director. The Managing Director will take an active lead in optimally aligning the Administration Office’s activities with the challenges of and developments in the school in support of SBE’s strategy.
The SBE Administration Office (92 employees) runs and manages the operation of the faculty. The Managing Director is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the faculty, including amongst others the Education and Exams Office, international relations, PR and communication, marketing and student recruitment, and student advising.
The Managing Director is as a member of the Faculty Board, officially as secretary, but in practice as a member of the team.
- A (post-)academic degree in Business Economics;
- A substantial number of years of line-management experience, preferably in an educational (academic) environment;
- An affinity for and experience with educational processes;
- Sensitive to the needs of an internationally oriented education and research organisation. You have experience in managing staff with intercultural differences; and you speak Dutch and English fluently;
- Relevant experience in financial management, budgeting processes, and financial reporting and control;
- Capable of developing and implementing new HRM practices and coaching colleagues in their HRM responsibilities;
- Entrepreneurial spirit;
- Able to develop relevant networks (within UM, with external stakeholders, and in business and educational circles);
- You are a leader, an inspiring coach for the members of your MT. You can take the ‘no. 1’ position but you are also able to facilitate others in that role. You can be demanding but are also realistic regarding the constraints of the organisation;
- A professional negotiator with a strong personality;
- An open attitude and accessible for staff and students.
- Able to engage with academic and support staff in a dialogue of mutual understanding.
You are prepared to work on a daily basis in Maastricht.
Maastricht University is committed to nurturing an inclusive culture and a welcoming atmosphere. This inclusiveness strategy has resulted in a very diverse representation of nationalities and cultures. Our client strongly believes that diversity (including, but not limited to nationality, age and gender) of the staff and student population will increase the quality of UM education & research. Fostering diversity and inclusivity creates an academic community where individual talents thrive, and values and differences are cherished.
SBE wants to be a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
For further information regarding the position and the process, please contact Elise Lansu (+31 6 23909009) or Mark Simons (+31 6 52376775) both partner at Delfin Executives.
You can apply until May, 29th . We would like to receive both your resume and coverletter in English.